As IT consultants, we’re seeing more and more companies looking to adopt cloud solutions to create efficiency and scalability within their organization and infrastructure.
At Coyote Creek, we work with enterprise organizations to implement and optimize Atlassian solutions for their business and software development projects. So it’s no surprise to us that one of our most common use cases right now, is Atlassian Cloud migrations.
In our experience with cloud migrations, we have come to realize that these solutions are a great fit for many, but not all. Oftentimes, we’re required to educate our clients on what circumstances are best suited for a cloud migration, and if that doesn’t apply to them, what their alternative options are.
So we’ve designed this quiz to help you figure out whether Jira Cloud is right for you, or if an alternative, hybrid solution is the better option.
Also, we’d like to invite you to our next webinar–Migrating to Atlassian Cloud: Best Practices For Moving your Jira Enterprise to the Cloud—on Wednesday, May 20 at 10am PST.
In it, we will discuss how to know if Jira Cloud is a good option for your organization and the best ways to optimize your instance after migration.
Now let’s get started with the quiz!
Do you have complex integrations or custom scripts?
- I have a couple but they are not complex
- If you answered (a) and your organization has a complex weave of custom integrations or custom scripts, Atlassian Cloud may not be the best option for you, but we can help you to know for sure, and assist you with your migration to make sure all your needs are properly mapped over.
- If you answered (b) then you are likely a great candidate to migrate to Jira Cloud.
- If you answered (c) it’s important to note that while Atlassian Cloud does not offer direct access to servers or databases, Jira Cloud does have a powerful REST API that can be used for external integrations if required. Again, if this is something you need assistance with, we would be happy to help you.
Do you use a lot of Jira Server or Data Center apps?
- I use a few
- If you answered (a) Jira Cloud is probably not best for you. Atlassian Cloud is best for companies that use it right out of the box so if you’ve added numerous apps from the Atlassian Marketplace to your Jira Server or Jira Data Center instance, say more than 20 apps, then Cloud is probably not a good fit..
- If you answered (b) then Jira Cloud is likely a great fit for you.
- If you answered (c) then you may still be a candidate for Jira Cloud. Atlassian offers 1,000+ cloud apps with similar functionality to server or data center. We can help you with mapping the features and benefits from your current apps to the equivalent Atlassian Cloud app as part of your migration to Jira Cloud.
Would you prefer a single cost solution for infrastructure management?
- It doesn’t matter to us
- If you answered (a of c) then Jira Cloud is likely a great option for you because it consolidates costs into a bundled pricing package—as opposed to paying separately for expenses like licenses, infrastructure, or OS/Database licenses. Not to mention the cost of onsite server storage and maintenance.
- If you answered (b) because of the complexities of your requirements and your contracts with other vendors, then it is likely that Jira Cloud is not a good fit for you because you may end up paying more for things you already do yourself or through a vendor. Examples include security management, hardware storage (that you plan to keep), etc.
Please note, however, that Coyote Creek offers co-termination of licenses for those switching from one Atlassian product to another. For more information, see our licensing page——-fix.
Are you tired of manual upgrades?
- If you answered (a) because you prefer to handle upgrades and version updates manually, perhaps so that you can schedule them for a convenient time, Atlassian Cloud is not advised.
- If you answered (b) however, Atlassian Cloud is a great option for you because they handle all updates and upgrades automatically so that you always have access to the latest updates and new features.
Are you attached to your Jira Server User Interface?
- If you answered (a) then you should know that the UI and features of Jira Cloud are different from Jira Server or Data Center. If your organization has become accustomed to the look and feel of your current Jira framework, and are resistant to change, a move to Atlassian Cloud might not be best for you.
- If, however, you are agile and think a change would not impede your productivity, then Atlassian Cloud could be a great fit for you.
How many users do you have?
- If you answered (a) Jira Cloud can accommodate as many as 5,000 users, so this is a great option for you.
- If you answered (b) then Jira Cloud is not a good fit, however, they will soon be able to accommodate 10k+ users. We’ll let you know as soon as they launch this new feature.
If your answers are mixed between a good fit or potentially not a good fit for Jira Cloud, or you still have unanswered questions, feel free to reach out. We’re happy to help you prepare for your migration and optimize your infrastructure for best practices!
Let’s set up a time to discuss your current instance and what steps you need to take before migrating to Jira Cloud. During our call we’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about the process and help you take the next step.