With all the changes and updates coming to the Atlassian product suite, it’s easy to confuse what products and features are staying, what’s going, and what’s just getting an upgrade.
One of the most recent updates that have users scratching their heads is the announcement of Jira Service Management. While we’re all excited about Atlassian’s new IT service management (ITSM) solution, many have been wondering if JSM will replace Jira Service Desk or if they’ll be two separate applications.
To set the record straight, we have a quote directly from Atlassian:
“To be fair, it’s not really a “this vs that” scenario, because Jira Service Management includes all the functionality of Jira Service Desk with richer ITSM capabilities. Thus, Jira Service Desk is now part of Jira Service Management.”
In other words, Jira Service Management IS the latest version of Jira Service Desk.
When did Jira Service Desk become Jira Service Management?
Jira Service Desk was created in 2013 in response to Atlassian’s discovery that 40% of customers were using Jira to handle service requests.
With JSD, teams were able to create efficient help desk environments that streamlined workflows and reduced the number of man-hours spent on service tickets across departments like technical support, legal, and HR.
In 2020, JSD was given an ITSM facelift to further enhance business teams’ ability to provide exceptional customer service experiences. It was also given an updated name: Jira Service Management (JSM).
What new features does Jira Service Management now include?
In addition to the rich capabilities of the Jira Service Desk we all know and love, like request portals, service catalogs, queues, and SLAs, JSM now includes:
**Disclaimer – all of these features are not included in both Data Center and Cloud versions.
Modern Incident Management (powered by Opsgenie)
- On-call scheduling
- Automated alerts
- Incident swarming
- Deep integrations with Jira Software, Bitbucket, and Confluence enable teams to streamline workflows end-to-end, with added features like knowledge bases, to deliver an exceptional, and efficient incident resolution process.
DevOps Change Management
- External user management
- Change management with greater context provided by your infrastructure and software development applications
- Automated change risk assessments
- Advanced approval workflows
- Deep integrations with popular addons and CI/CD tools such as Bitbucket, CircleCI, Jenkins, and Pipelines
Intuitive Service Experiences
- Access to Jira’s REST API for greater customization
- Categorize service requests, problems, incidents, and changes
- Bulk ticket actions and machine learning functionality that intuitively pairs similar service tickets.
- More powerful project templates
- Easier request triaging
- Service project automation
- Simplified customer portal
- Improved customer language support
By combining these new capabilities with the superior help desk management features of JSD, support teams can remove siloes, work more collaboratively, increase productivity, and ultimately provide a better service experience for end-users across the entire ITSM lifecycle.
What new features are COMING SOON in JSM?
- Asset management, configuration, and ticketing management powered by a Mindville Insight and Halp integration
- Bulk-watching and reordering queues
- Archiving issues and projects
- Project-based priority schemes
- Direct approval of requests via email
- Importing service level agreements (SLA) configurations from other projects
- Canned responses in the knowledge base self-service portal
- Integration with Confluence Server
*some of these features will only be available in Cloud
What IT environments can JSM support?
As Atlassian has announced the end of life for their Server line of products, Jira Service Management Cloud and Data Center will be the only versions offered.
Jira Service Management Product Packaging
Jira Service Management Cloud
In addition to a free version to try as well as a 7-day free trial of their Standard and Premium packages, JSM pricing tiers are as follows:
|User limit||5,000 agents||5,000 agents||5,000 agents|
|Support||Cloud support team (Regional business hours)||Cloud support team (24/7 Premium support)||Dedicated senior team (24/7 Enterprise support)|
|Service request management||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Insight asset & configuration management||No||Yes||Yes|
|Global and multi-project automation||No||Yes||Yes|
|Email and embeddable widget support||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Reporting & analytics||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Apps and integrations||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Knowledge base||Requires Confluence subscription||Requires Confluence subscription||Requires Confluence subscription|
|IT operations management (ITOM)|
|Alerts & notifications||Unlimited alerts, unlimited email, and SMS||Unlimited alerts, unlimited email, SMS, and voice||Unlimited alerts, unlimited email, SMS, and voice|
|Monitoring & ChatOps integrations||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Major incidents per month||100||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Incident creation||Manual||Manual, automatic, API, and template||Manual, automatic, API, and template|
|Incident command center||No||Yes||Yes|
|Alerts/major incidents data visualization & analytics||No||Yes||Yes|
|Service status pages||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Service & infrastructure health analysis||No||Yes||Yes|
|Enterprise Service Management|
|HR, legal & facilities templates||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Domain verification & account capture||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Session duration management (desktop)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Encryption in transit & at rest||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Business continuity & disaster recovery||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Mobile Device Management COMING SOON||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Data residency||Coming soon||Coming soon||Included|
|SSO, SCIM, Active Directory sync||Requires Atlassian Access subscription||Requires Atlassian Access subscription||Included|
|Storage & Billing|
|Storage||250 GB file storage||Unlimited storage||Unlimited storage|
Jira Service Management Data Center
Data Center pricing starts at $17,200 per year for 50 agents and comes with a free 30-day trial. </span
- Total control of your IT environment
- Active/active clustering to enable high availability
- Annual term license + maintenance
- Optimized for hybrid AWS or Azure deployments
- SAML 2.0 and OpenID Connect support
- Atlassian-supported disaster recovery
- Project and issue archiving for improved performance
Let Coyote Creek help you get started with your JSM Implementation
At Coyote Creek, we understand that finding the right Atlassian products to meet your business needs is an investment. That’s why we want to help you make the most of your investment with expertly guided migration and integration services for your ITSM solution.
At Coyote Creek, we can empower your IT teams to do their best work by ensuring your Jira Service Management instance is optimized to facilitate self-service, remove siloes between teams, and empower your team to be more agile at handling customer support and issue tracking.
We can also help you to evaluate your current systems and business model to determine what your needs are so you can choose the appropriate JSM licensing and pricing. Additionally, if you’re currently using a Server version of Jira Service Management or Jira Service Desk, we can create a custom migration plan to get you over to either Cloud or Data Center version of JSM.
We’re Atlassian experts, well versed in Jira Service Management as well as other commonly used Atlassian Enterprise tools like Jira Software, Jira Work Management (formerly Jira Core), Confluence, BitBucket, Opsgenie, and more.
Learn more about how Coyote Creek can support your organization by contacting us today for a free consultation.